What is a category in WordPress?
In WordPress, a category is used to group related posts. In this article we will show you how to Create categories in WordPress.
When you create a new post, you have the option to assign it to one or more categories. This can help your readers find similar content on your website more easily.
Categories can also be used to divide your posts into different sections. For example, you could create a separate category for each different type of article on your blog. Categories can also be used in conjunction with keywords to further refine the content of your website.
How to create a category in WordPress
By default, WordPress comes with some predefined categories, but you can also create your own. Here is how to do it:
- First, log in to your WordPress dashboard and go to the "Posts -> Categories" page. Here you will find a list of all existing categories. To add a new category, simply enter its name in the field at the top of the page and click the "Add New Category" button.
- Next, you need to assign some posts to your new categories. To do this, edit each post you want to include in the category and scroll down to the Categories section. Select the checkbox next to your new category, and then save your changes.
That's it! You have successfully created a new category in WordPress.
By grouping related posts in this way, you can help your readers find the information they're looking for more easily. It can also make your website more organized and user-friendly.
To add posts to a category in WordPress
Adding a post to a category in WordPress is a straightforward process:
- First, log in to your WordPress account and go to the "Posts" section.
- Then click on the "Add new" button. Now you can create your new post.
- When you are done writing your post, scroll down to the "Categories" section on the right side of the page. Here you can select the appropriate category for your post.
- Finally, click the "Publish" button to save your changes.
To delete a category in WordPress
To delete a category in WordPress, you should follow the steps below:
- First, go to the "Contributions" section.
- Then find the category you want to delete and move the mouse cursor over it. A trash icon should appear - click it to delete the category.
- Finally, empty the Recycle Bin by going to the "Tools" section and clicking "Empty Recycle Bin".
Please note that deleting a category may also delete all posts associated with that category. WordPress might also move the posts to the "Uncategorized" category, which might not look very professional. So if you want to keep any of the posts or make sure your site looks professional, move it to another category first.
To change the order of the categories
To change the order of categories in WordPress, you can customize how your content is displayed by accessing the Categories page in the Posts section of your WordPress dashboard.
Once you are on this page, you will see a list of all the categories you have created. To change the order, simply drag and drop the categories into the desired order. You can also use the Parent drop-down menu to nest categories below each other.
To create a child category in WordPress
Creating a child category in WordPress is easy, provided you already have a parent category set up. Here is how it is done:
- Go to the "Posts" section and select "Categories".
- Find the parent category you want to use and move the mouse cursor over it. A new link will appear - click "Add new category".
- Give your child category a name and slug, then click the Parent drop-down menu and select the appropriate parent category.
- Finally, click "Add new category" and your child category will be created!
To edit categories, follow these steps:
- Click the "Categories" link. This will display a list of all the categories on your website. To edit a category, simply click the "Edit" link next to the category name.
- This way you can change the name, slug, description and parent category of the category.
- Once you have made your changes, simply click "Update Category" to save them.
How to display categories in WordPress
Displaying categories in WordPress can help organize your content. You can do this by using a category widget under "Appearance" " "Widgets". Then simply drag and drop the widget into any sidebar on your website.
The category widget shows all your active categories, except those without posts.
You can choose to display your categories as a drop-down menu or as a list. If you select the "Show Hierarchy" option, child categories are formatted with a special style, such as an indent in front of the name.
Please note that this particular option depends on your selected theme. If you don't select "Show hierarchy", all your categories will look uniform, regardless of whether they are parent or child categories.
Categories vs. Tags (What's the difference?)
Categories and tags are two methods for organizing content on your WordPress website. They are used to divide posts into thematic groups and make it easier for users to find content. The main difference between categories and tags is their usage and functionality.
Categories are usually used to define broad subject areas or main categories. They represent the main sections of your website and are used to roughly group posts. For example, in a blog about cooking, you might create categories for recipes, kitchen tips, and cooking utensil reviews. A post is usually assigned to only one category, which allows users, Contributions to a specific topic easy to find.
Tags, on the other hand, are more flexible and are used to associate specific keywords or catchphrases with a post. They are useful for providing detailed information about the content of a post. For example, a recipe post might include tags for ingredients, type of dish, and difficulty. Unlike categories, tags can be assigned to multiple posts, providing a more precise way to organize content.
- Categories are used to define broad subject areas or main categories.
- A post is usually assigned to only one category.
- Tags are more flexible and are used to associate specific keywords or catchphrases with a post.
- Tags can be assigned to multiple posts.
Both categories and tags are useful tools for organizing WordPress websites, but should be used in different ways. Categories are best for roughly grouping similar content, while tags are used to describe specific aspects of a post. WordPress users can effectively use both categories and tags to ensure that their content is easy to find and navigate.
How to convert categories to tags in WordPress
If you want to convert categories to tags, you can do it with the "Categories and Tag Converter" in WordPress. Proceed as follows:
- Click "Tools" " "Import" in your WordPress dashboard.
- Search for the "Categories and Tag Converter" and click the "Run Importer" button.
- A pop-up window will open offering you the option to install the Importer. Click on "Run Importer" again.
- Activate the plugin, choose the desired conversion option from the drop-down menu and select the elements you want to convert.
- Click "Convert" to complete the process.
This way you can convert categories to tags or vice versa, depending on your requirements. Note, however, that it is advisable to backup your website before making any major changes to your content categorization.